Friday, September 14, 2012

How I Stay Organized-- My Planner

Yesterday I posted about my Home Binder and how well that works for us and I got to thinking.. maybe I should show you my planner and how I really keep organized! 


My planner is pretty much my life-- I'm not sure what I would do if something (God forbid) happened to it! I use Amy Knapp's Family Organizer. My MIL had it a few years ago and I liked that there weren't any lines in it-- I can free style. :-) Well, there are lines on the page obviously but not on specifically each day. Does that make sense? Here's a photo to help you:


I have a pretty good system that works well for me. But it doesn't matter if it works well for me because your planner system needs to work well for you!

Every Sunday I plan out the next week. Nothing too thorough, just what I know will be happening that upcoming week (Ex: laundry, workouts, bills that are due).

The right side of the planner is the week (Mon-Sun) and the left side is a giant list of to-dos. They are pretty much my weekly to-dos (not to be confused with my home binder to-dos). Some weekly to-dos for example would be-- Sew up Oreo's toy smurf, order dogs' medication, etc.

I truly recommend this planner! It's absolutely wonderful. You can read more about it here.


I'll write in my planner all throughout the day-- little reminders, notes, whatever. When something is completed I usually just check it off. If it needs to be done ASAP I highlight it. You can see I have been crazy this week from the picture above. :)

Now, my planner is not to be confused with our "family calendar" on the fridge. Ah confusing, I know!


Nathan pretty much grew up with a system like this and when he asked if we could incorporate a "family calendar" into our life, how could I say no? Love that boy! So I basically also stole this idea from my MIL. 

First-- this calendar is the calendar I talked about here that we used for our rehearsal dinner guest book. I love that all our closest friends and family members have signed it on their birthdays. More information on that here

Anyway, this calendar has all the information that we do as a family, or separately. For example, a doctor appointment, someone visiting, etc. Because we only have one car, it's kind of important to know what's going on ahead of time. This calendar does not have to-do lists, just stuff we're doing. Does that make sense? It's even really nice when Nathan will write in when a football game is, for example, so I won't make arrangements for us to go somewhere.  

Sometimes I write what's for dinner but I find it's just more work. Maybe I'll start incorporating that-- I know my husband would love that idea!

I have no idea why Nathan's uncle signed his name "Instructor Craig". He's a goofball!

Like I always say, this system works for us. It may not work for us in the future, but it works for now. Don't think that if you go out an buy a planner and a calendar that it's going to work for you. You have to do what is best, easiest, and most convenient for your family! I encourage you to try multiple systems before you settle with one. 

Feel free to leave your questions in the comment section below! xO

No comments:

Post a Comment